We are knee deep in the middle of summer here in Luxembourg, a time when my family members and me try to slow down and savour the warm summer days and enjoy life where we are. Personally, I find it a bit too hot outside, now temperatures reached a 35°C. I feel like I’m melting down.Oh, how I wish, since my weight loss isn’t going all that well. Too many trips to a restaurant, drinking a cold gin&tonic in the evening, it makes my weight staying scaringly stable. Of course weight loss isn’t the only goal of sticking with a healthy routine, but it’s insanely frustrating when my results come to a screeching halt despite how much effort I think I’m putting in. Guess i have to go over my plan and revise it a bit.
Anyway, I am still in my pickling fase, so today I made some refrigerated yellow beet pickles, and they turned out really good. Aren’t you tired yet of all these pickle recipes?
- 1 or 2 yellow beets
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 tbsp. cassia buds
- 6 allspice berries
- 4 cloves
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp. cane sugar
- 1 tsp Himalayan Salt
- Cut the yellow beets in julienne and place them in a sterilized jar.
- Add the slightly crushed cardamom, the cassia buds, the cloves and the allspice to the jar as well.
- Put sugar, salt, vinegar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring to dissolve sugar; pour carefully over the beet sticks.
- Let it sit at room temperature for about an hour, agitating the jar every so often.
- Refrigerate and use within a month.