Simple pickled cherries are my new favorite way to enjoy summertime cherries. The preparation time is negligible and they’re ready to eat in 3 days. These sweet-and-sour pickles go very well with charcuterie, strong cheeses or grilled meats. Or just toss them into salads and on top of sandwiches for a burst of tart cherriness.
- 500g dark cherries, stems removed and pitted
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. cassia buds (or use a cinammon stick if you can’t find cassia buds)
- 1 tsp. green cardamom pods (whole)
- 2 whole star anise
- Combine vinegar, sugar water and spices in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, than reduce the heat and cook for 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Place the cherries into 2 steriliezed jars and pour the brine over the top to cover. Close the jars.
- Let it sit at room temperature for about an hour, agitating the jar every so often.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 days before opening the jar and use within 3 months.