Almonds and apples pair perfectly in these delicious muffins. We eat them for breakfast, but you can also eat them as a little snack in between meals. And the best thing is they’re free of refined sugars. The simple topping allows you to enjoy the moisty and flavorful inside, which in my opinion is the star of the show.
- 100 g almond flour
- 20g sunflower flour
- 160g spelt flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- pinch Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tbsp. ground cinammon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 medjool dates
- 6 medium size eggs
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 & 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Soak dates in warm water for 10 minutes, drain and puree them.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry muffins ingredients (3 sorts of flour, baking powder, spices and salt)
- In a large bowl, mix together the wet muffins ingredients (pureed dates, eggs, lemon zest, apple sauce and melted coconut oil)
- Add the dry mix to the wet and stir just until combined! Do not over mix. Fold in the apple cubes.
- Grease a muffin pan and pour 1/3 cup of batter into each muffin cup and sprinkle with almond shavings.
- Bake for 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then remove the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.